Sunday 21 October 2007

What a Weekend!

It's Sunday afternoon, I'm incredibly tired but I have had such an awesome weekend here at Retreat! Where do I start?!
I arrived on Friday afternoon at the Gananoque Inn which is absolutely gorgeous! Dani is right, the Inn is first rate and the food is incredible!. I got settled in my room and found my way down to the stitching room which they had set up for us. I couldn't believe the number of ladies already settled and stitching away. What a beautiful sight! I sat myself down and immediately a few of the women came over to introduce themselves. I felt right at home. After stitching for a couple of hours I was just thinking of taking a short break when Dani walked in the room. After catching up I resumed stitching. Shortly afterwards there was a welcome wine and cheese during which time you could mingle with the fellow stitchers as well as check out everyone's recent finishes which were on display. I had taken my "Touching the Autumn Sky" with me. During this time Dani introduced me to Jeannette Douglas who is an absolutely lovely person! It wasn't long before supper and what a meal! I had grilled salmon with risotta and it was soooo good! Dessert was lemon meringue pie. Am I making you drool yet? Following supper Dani and I stayed up 'til about 11:30pm stitching. She was trying to finish up the beading on her model piece.
Saturday began early with a hot and cold breakfast buffet. Classes started at 9:30. I was taking my first class with Jeannette Douglas. The other ladies informed Jeannette that I was a newbie to retreat and this was my first class so I was a "virgin"! Not by the time class was finished though! It was a relatively small group so Jeannette was able to help me out with some specialty stitches. What a treat! It was an all day class broken up by a couple of breaks as well as a lovely lunch. After class we had about 3 hrs to ourselves before supper. I was actually feeling a little sick from having concentrated so hard in class so rather than more stitching I took a short walk up the road to a lovely shop where the retreaters were treated to a discount for the weekend.
I picked up a few Christmas gifts and then headed back for some more stitching. Supper was once again awesome. I don't think I've eaten as much food before as I have on this weekend!
They really know how to wine and dine you! Following supper, goodie bags were handed out to all the retreaters full of charts, threads, etc. Then everyone's names were drawn to pick a gift . Everything was wrapped so what you picked was a surprise. I ended up with a book containing several needlecraft stitches and instructions. I forgot the most important part. When the goodie bags were handed out we were told that one bag contained a glass slipper. Whoever had the slipper was not to tell anyone and would find out why the following day. Nope, it wasn't me!!
Next, more stitching! It was about midnight when Dani and I finally called it a night but we ended up talking in our room until 2:00.
Consequently morning came very quickly! Another incredible breakfast buffet (including making individual omelettes!) and then off to the next class. I'd signed up for a Hardanger class. Dani headed off to another of Jeannette's classes. I really enjoyed the Hardanger. I was terrified at first but it really isn't all that difficult. I managed to cut threads in the right places at least!
I think the most difficult part for me was trying to decipher the pattern but by the end of the class I was getting the hang of it and had managed to complete the design for a scissor fob. The one thing I did learn was that I need to get myself another pair of very sharp embroidery scissors! The class only lasted for the morning and then off to the final lunch. At each lunch there is always a soup and salad buffet followed by your entree which for me was vegetable lasagne. Oh and did I mention the desserts? Over the course of the weekend there were things like chocolate mousse, strawberry shortcake, pecan pie, hot peach cobbler (which was awesome), lemon pie and chessecakes. During every break between classes there was fresh fruit, fruit loaves and fresh baked cookies! I think they're going to have to roll me out of here!!!
The day finished off with door prizes and what prizes! Some included a free framing, a gift basket full of charts, custom made frames, etc. My name was picked and I won a lovely gift set of bath crystals, candle and body silk. Dani also won but I'll let her fill you in on her prize. The final name drawn received a free retreat for next fall or spring since there's also a spring retreat! All I can say is WOW!
I'm using the inn's computer right now so you'll have to wait until Monday or Tuesday when I get home for some pictures. Dani has headed for home ( where did you go to anyways? I looked for you to say bye but lost you somehow!) and now I'm headed back down to stitch until my DH arrives to spend with rest of today and tomorrow with me. The stitching room remains open until 3:00pm on Monday since several of the ladies stay an extra day.
I think I'm very fortunate to have access to such an incredible weekend and will definitely be thinking about next year's retreat!
Thanks Dani for convincing me to go!!

8 comments:

  1. Im glad you had such a good time at the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a fantastic weekend! I'll look forwards to your pictures. Enjoy the rest of your mini-vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn,

    I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself and don't regret joining me on this weekend!

    Sorry I disappeared... I didn't mean to so rudely. I took my prize out to my car, wandered up to the 3rd floor to visit with Erma and next thing I knew we were off for a walk!

    I couldn't find you when I left this evening, so I assume Bob made it?

    Thanks for coming with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a lovely time and after being so busy at work the last little while, it sounds like just the thing to fix you right up!
    I almost stopped in to surprise you on Saturday evening but time did not permit...
    I'm glad you had a wonderful time and can't wait to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn - sound like your first retreat was a dream. Glad you had such a wonderful time. Look forward to your photos. Enjoy the exra time with your husband. That is one beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a fantastic time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Back! I am glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete

Labels