Wednesday 5 October 2011

A new group

I was fortunate enough this week to be invited to join a new group which has formed in our village. I had run into one of the ladies earlier in the month at a church supper. When she found out that I was now retired she inquired as to whether I would be interested in joining a group of local quilters on Wednesday evenings. You don't have to quilt, she told me. Just bring your stitching and join the group. Well before I could make it to the first night, the group evolved into something a little different. We have decided to meet on Wed. afternoons now and you are welcome to bring any craft of any kind with you to work on. We are meeting at our new church in town, called The Gathering House . This church has formed a community cafe where groups can meet and it's absolutely fantastic! The setting is a cafe atmosphere, complete with tables, comfy sofas and a gas fireplace! They were very accomodating and set up several tables for us. It's a wonderful place to gather and our hope is that the group will learn from each other. Anyone learning to knit can receive advice or if someone wants to learn cross stitching, I can give them some tutoring. I was pleased to see the mom of one of my youngest son's childhood friends is part of the group. I hadn't seen her in years! Several of the ladies said they would be glad to help me with my ladder stitch and blanket stitching. I think that this gathering will be a fabulous learning experience for all or us as well as a chance to form new friendships.



As  you can see, I took along my Jardin Prive Halloween Quaker and put some quality time in on it. I also stitched on this last night at the Tuesday group. I had grown a little tired of stitching on Gobble and wanted a bit of a change. I think I'll stick with the HQ for the next couple of nights and then pick up Gobble again on the weekend.
I also picked up LHN Acorn Hill but ended up sharing some time with the frogs. The progress I had made on it yesterday ended up coming out along with some previous stitches so no pics. I finally put it away in disgust. For some reason this piece has given me nothing but trouble and I can't figure out why. It's not like it's difficult!


Boo Tree freebie by Rose Krizan

Yesterday morning I was in the mood to do some finishing so I pulled out one of my previous stitches, Boo Tree. He was supposed to be a pinkeep but I forgot to put in my pins before the glue set on the trim so it will remain as is. I'm not happy with the fact that I didn't get it straight from top to bottom but seeing as it's only for me I can live with it. I do love the backing fabric on this one. I think I found it on ebay and it's such a cool Halloween print. I also took a picture of the trim I used since you can't see it all that well in these pictures. It's a fuzzy orange trim which I stumbled across at the dollar store.













Don't you just love the little witch standing beside my Boo Tree?

I like to call her Wanda and she  is a new addition to my Halloween decor.











I've also included a closer picture of her below. I just love the face on her!






I want to take this time to also welcome any new followers of my blog. I love getting to know other stitchers out there and I always appreciate it when you take the time to drop by and comment.
Welcome!!







20 comments:

  1. what a wonderful group for you to find! and great progress made. I love all your halloween decoration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful retirement must be for you AND BUSY TOO. love the BOO and anything Quaker is a personal favorite also, well next to my AAN's. The Gathering sounds like a fun place to attend where everyone has a common thread.
    Be always in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun new group. What a fun time on you new piece, it all looks just wonderful.
    Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new group sounds like fun! Love your Halloween pinkeep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just downloaded the chart for Boo tree and am thinking to stitch it up to make into a card! Love your pin keep! Your group sounds lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn - I am glad you have found such a wonderful group - enjoy.
    Love Boo Tree and I like the way it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so blessed to have found such a nice stitching group. Your boo finish is really fun - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun group, Lynn! Lucky you! I love your Boo finish, it is too cute! Your Jardin Prive WIP looks great, too. Your witch figurine is ADORABLE!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice that you have found a new group to join! :) I love BOO and think your finishing turned out perfectly! I wouldn't at all worry about not being able to stick the pins in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading about your new group makes me wish I lived in a small village again, Lynn... People in the suburbs of a large city like I live in just don't have the same opportunities to get together and work on shared passions like those in smaller, more tightly-knit communities...

    Your Boo piece is darling--I started that last year, should really pick it back up and finish it. And that backing fabric is wonderful--I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This new stitching group sounds like a lot of fun! Stick with the Halloween Quaker - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so lucky to have not one but two groups to stitch with! I have no one but my blogging friends and a internet PALS group. Your Boo tree is darling. is that a M Designs design. Mary is a very sweet lady that came to out PALS retreat for a couple of years. Your new with is too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful that you have so many people to stitch with!
    Gorgeous finish. That trim is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a great group! An assortment of crafts is likely to attract attendees and such a plus when someone wants to learn something new! Too cool.

    The Halloween Quaker looks great. Is that a skull & crossbones above the cat?

    Cute finish! That orange trim was a find! Love it. I also love Halloween fabrics...I have an entire box full of it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like a lovely group to be a part of Lynn. I love the HQ design, and congrats on finishing your Boo Tree! Mine is still in the drawer, maybe one day :) Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful for you to have found such a wonderful group of ladies who love to share their crafts! The church cafe sounds so cozy, especially with wonderful fireplaces too!

    Love your Quaker piece and your Halloween Tree is so cute too! You did a great job of finishing....love the trim:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I had a stitchy group - That sounds like soooo much fun - Enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. great job on the finishing Lynn, what a cool trim to find!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a chance to be a member of such a group.I'm sure that you will have a lot of fun with the ladies.
    Your Halloween projects look great and Wanda is the perfect addition for a Halloween shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a great news about new stitching group! Lucky you ;)
    And your autumn pinkeep looks wonderful!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete

Labels