Tuesday 24 February 2009

Snowmen and a Kitten

That's pretty much what I've been working with this week. I dug out my Trilogy Secret Snowdrift and put some stitches on it although I haven't got much to show for it. I was often distracted by the new little addition to our household.
Yes, we've got a new kitten! Her name is Clarisse and she's a blue lynxpoint mitted Ragdoll.
Finnigan was also a Ragdoll and I just fell in love with the breed. They're very social and often act like dogs. They come when called and love to play fetch. They're long haired but don't shed as much as Persians and Himalayans although my DH would beg to disagree! They have a lovely temperament and have certainly won a place in my heart. Bob has never been around a kitten this young (14 wks) and is desperately trying to teach her to stay off the furniture. He has a squirt bottle of water in hand and thinks he can squirt her when she gets on the couch but she's usually long gone by that time! I've had a terrible time getting her to sit still long enough for a picture. Even when's she's sleeping I can't get a pic because she's found a hole in the bottom of the box spring in the bed in the spare room and climbs in there to sleep. She probably feels safer there.
As I write this she's having a field day checking out the office here in the rec room. Up until now she hasn't been down here and boy oh boy, are there ever a lot of things she can get into!
Consequently every time I sit down to stitch I end up having to stop at some point and chase her away from something she shouldn't be doing. Either that or she's playing with my floss. I forgot how exhausting they can be. Just like kids! I keep telling Bob she needs a playmate but he's not going for it!!

As Clarisse gets older the colour on her face and tail and the stripes on her legs will deepen and the tabby markings on her face will get more pronounced the way that Finningan's did. It can take up to two years before they have developed their full colour.




So I apologize if I haven't had much to tell in the way of stitching. I'm off work now until Saturday so I'm hoping to get more done on Cirque and have another picture to post next time. I also have to choose an ornament to stitch for March.

I received an email yesterday from my LNS announcing their closure at the end of March. They've been in business for 16 yrs but due to the declining economy along with a lengthy bus strike in Ottawa and a very competitive internet market, can no longer make a go of it. This was the only cross stitch store in Ottawa and I will be very sorry to see them go. I had the pleasure of attending one of their stitching retreats in the fall of 2007 and made many new friends. From what they said they have been fighting an uphill battle for some time now as I'm sure several other businesses have as well. I've seen this happen before with independant book stores who were run out of business by the big chains. It leaves me with a very sad feeling for while we can find our supplies elsewhere, we will certainly no longer enjoy being greeted by familiar faces. Thank you to Knit One, Stitch Too (formerly The Cross Stitch Cupboard) for your many years of service and advice. I shall miss you.

9 comments:

  1. Oh hon, Clarisse is just the sweetest little lady. I am sure she will bring you much joy. I was sorry to hear about the Cupboard too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are the pictures I have been waiting for. She is so much cuter then I remember from the other pictures. Enjoy your playtime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarisse is beautiful. I think I might have a ragdoll litty too. Is that when you pick them up, they are just kind of floppy? I love the snowdift WIP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snowmen are so cute...but Lynn!! that Clarisse (love her name!) is sooo precious!! She is a beautiful kitty! So happy you have a new blessing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute fur baby! She is a doll. From one cat lover to another--it does mean alot when the vet calls or writes or shows some form of compassion when a "furry family memeber" passes on.(referencing your last post)
    Our vet makes a donation to the one of the veterinary schools in the pets name. When our cat passed-I was so touched when he did this! Enjoy Clarisse--she is a cutie!!
    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clarisse is lovely! She is a cutie-patootie! And the stitching is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww Clarisse is is just adorable! I hope I get to meet her sometime!

    Yeah its too bad the LNS is closing but I knew that moving downtown was just the wrong move for them. They made themselves unaccessable to many of their customers. I don't work downtown, I don't go downtown.. and having no parking was another strike in my book... I'm honestly not surprised, and its sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clarisse is soooo cute, and she'll be gorgeous all grown up. Kittens are such fun, but they are tiring, as they certainly do get into everything. Love your new start, fun design. So sorry to hear about your LNS. It is so nice to have one close by so you can actually go and see things. Online is nice in someways, but you just can't beat brick and mortar shops. My LNS is a little over an hour away, and I love it when I can actually get there to look around. With the economy the way it is, it's rough going for any private shops like that right now.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable kitten !!! My girls have sever kitten envy. Congratulations on your new Fur Kid.

    ReplyDelete

Labels