Monday 8 July 2013

An exciting new project and my finish revealed!

Recently I learned of a new stitching venture from some of my Tuesday night stitchers. It seems that there is a group in Toronto who are planning to stitch The Torah. Now for those of you who do not know, The Torah consists of the five books of the Hebrew bible, known more commonly to non-Jews as the Old Testament. 

I was told that Torah Stitch By Stitch is now underway and they are looking for volunteer stitchers to aid them. In fact, a total of 1463 stitchers are needed!  The project is open to stitchers of all nationalities and religious persuasion. The Torah is stitched in Hebrew and once you sign up you will receive a kit with the necessary fabric, floss and chart. Each person stitches 4 verses of the text. When completed, the stitching will all be assembled into a scroll measuring 2 metres high by 86 metres long! 

Several of my stitching friends have already signed up and received their kits and stitching is underway. I wanted to be a part of the project but I had a few questions first which they answered for me. So earlier this week I went ahead and signed up. I'm anxious to get started and see which 4 verses I will be assigned. At this point, only the book of Genesis has been charted and several of my friends are stitching of Noah. Although the text is in Hebrew, you do know which verses you are stitching so that you can look up the text in English. I think it's an amazing project and I'm really looking forward to being a part of it.

Today I put in the final stitches on one of my WIP and did a little dance. Which one? Weeds Make Haste! It beat out Fruit of the Spirit and arrived at the finish line first!

Shakespeare's Peddler Weeds Make Haste
stitched on 28ct  LSL Vintage Lentil
using GAST and WDW floss

Since this was stitched on 28ct it was a faster stitch than Fruit which is being stitched on 36ct. I ended up making the legs under the bee skep a little longer after making an error in counting. Consequently the bees had to be adjusted some too. You'd think by now I could count, lol! 
Tomorrow I'm off to visit family for a week. Fruit will accompany me and with any luck I'll actually find some time to work on it. I don't always have access to internet while I'm away so if I don't respond to your comments please be patient and I'll check in as soon as I'm home. 

25 comments:

  1. Weeds is really beautiful. The Torah sounds like an interesting project. I look forward to seeing how you like it. Have a nice vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finish!! Wow ~ that sounds like an amazing project ~ looking forward to following you in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Stitching the Torah is an amazing endeavor and it's great that you're going to be a part of it! Can't wait to hear more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful finish! How exciting being part of stitching the Torah will be. I can't wait to see that project get started:) Have a lovely visit!
    love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weeds is cute!
    Wow, what neat project you are going to work on.
    Can't wait to see pics of it.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful finish! And what a cool project to be a part of.
    Have a wonderful visit! I hope that you have some time to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finish. Please send me the info on the Torah Lynn. I would love to stitch too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that sounds like a very cool and rewarding project! Be sure to post us a picture when the final results are in :)

    Congrats on the finish too by the way! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the Torah project sounds like quite the undertaking!

    Love your finish too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing project stitching the Torah will be, Lynn--how nice that you'll be contributing :)

    Your finish is so cute--tall bee skep and all. Ha ha--none of us would have known if you hadn't told us :)

    Enjoy your visit with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty finish.

    Wow the Torah is going to be quite an undertaking for all those stitchers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finish...nicely stitched!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Torah sounds like a wonderful project! And congratulations on a beautiful finish! :) Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Stitching the Torah"?! That's an amazing project and so cool to be a part of it! Congrats on your finish Lynn! It's a darling design. Have fun on your trip too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty finish, well done! And the Torah project sounds just amazing - what happens to the finished piece?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Torah project is a great idea. I little bit of a big commitment for me with all the other stuff going on but I'm looking forward to seeing your verses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stitching The Torah - what an amazing project you will be part of, together with so many other stitchers from all over the world. This will be very interesting.
    Great finish, Lynn, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. the Torah projects is most intriguing. it I hadn't subscribed to so many Stitcheramas I would love to enter too.
    cant' wait to see your progress on that, and on Fruit of the Spirit. Weeds is gorgeous, the colours are just perfect.
    happy xxx,
    chiara

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Torah SAL sounds very interesting! Can't wait to see your work on it

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Torah SAL sounds amazing. Good for you for being a part of it! Congratulations on finishing Weeds Make Haste! It's a pretty design.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous finish! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your finish of Weeds, it looks great. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about the stitching of the Torah, it sounds an interesting project.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like an interesting project, Lynn! Love the Weeds finish!

    ReplyDelete

Labels