Wednesday 20 July 2011

More cottage life and stitching too!



Welcome back to week number 2 at the cottage. The picture above is of our rental here in Lake Muskoka. We have a lovely boathouse cottage and I spend most mornings on the deck stitching.  The owners also have some lovely gardens on the property which I snapped a few pictures of yesterday afternoon.




Don't you just love the flower sculptures  in the background? I've posted a close up of them as well. This is truly a lovely cottage which unfortunately is up for sale as well as the main house behind it. They have already had a couple of offers and are negotiating a sale so it looks like we'll be vacationing elsewhere on the lake. We do have a lead on two other locations, one of which is just across the bay from our current location.
As I mentioned earlier, I love to stitch on the deck of the boathouse with the view of the lake in front of me. However I've been unable to do much stitching the past couple of days since the sun was just too strong and I found I had a headache for most of the day. This could also be due to dehydration. I've never been one to drink lots of water and the water here tastes awful as far as I'm concerned. So I've been filling up on ice tea and lemonade. All that extra caffeine from the tea is not helping the headache any.

However I do have stitchy photos for you! Here is the picture of my completed BBD Their Song minus the three words which I ran out of floss for. It's a bit wrinkled looking. There is an iron here in the cottage and I did try pressing it last night but I don't think this iron is as hot as my one at home plus it doesn't have steam. I'm going to give a call to one of my LNS which is on my way home and see if she has any of the WDW Havana which I'm needing to complete this with. Next I thought I'd try getting back to my Canadian version of LHN America. But once again I'm not happy with my choice of floss colour for the flag in this one. I'm trying to find just the right shade of red in the Canadian flag and am not having any luck at the moment. They either look too cherry red or too orangy red and I've ended up frogging out the flag once I get it started. I'm still undecided  on the colour of the house roof too. I guess I'm not very good at making decisions. Maybe it's heat stroke! So the only thing left to stitch on was my new start, LHN Acorn Hill. Below is a pic of my progress to date. It does't look like much but it will eventually be a cute little house. See that pretty red door? I'm stitching this one on LSL Buttercream and loving it!



At the tail end of last week I returned to the village of Rosseau to have a look in the antique shop there. We had visited this village on our first weekend here and found it very quaint. Imagine my surprise when I found this beautiful old sampler in the shop. I tried to get a good picture of it but where it was hanging the sun shone on it at the wrong angle and always gave me a reflection.
It's been stitched by Eliza Prout, aged 11 in the year 1833. It took me a little bit to decipher this but I believe that's what has been stitched. Take a look below at the other pics and see if you agree with me. The sampler is not in the very best of shape. The linen is torn in several spots, perhaps just eaten away and the colours are faded somewhat but hey, wouldn't you look a little worse for wear if you were 178 yrs old?!







Is that supposed to be a dog in the above photo? I'm not really sure but I love it as well as the deer and the butterfly in the previous pics. I would love to own a sampler like this but it's a bit out of my price range. I'm aways amazed at the stitching abilities of these young girls.
I visited other antique shops during the week but didn't find any other samplers such as this one.

Here are some other pictures we took during our visit to Rosseau. My DH loved the General Store and its collection of old bottles on the upper shelves.






The gardens are found next door to the local ice cream stop and the church is where my DH played the organ on the Sunday morning. 

On our way home from Rosseau we stopped briefly in the village of Minett. That's where we found this fantastic carving in an old tree. What a wonderful way to preserve the remains of some of these older trees. We found out from some of the villagers that many of the trees in the area were lost during a horrific storm on the lake three weeks ago. We ourselves saw evidence of this on our many boat trips on the lake. In some cases we saw where the trees had fallen on the cottage.
One of the many other things which we like to do each year on our visits to Muskoka is to take in the waterski show in Bala. This show makes the rounds of the lakes each week and has a different theme each year. Two years ago when I saw it with my son the theme was Raiders of the Lost Ark. This year the theme was James Bond. Goldfinger was also present and was responsible for taking off with all of Bonds' Girls. The shows are great fun and showcase the talents of waterskiers from the area as well as abroad.




This will be my last post from the cottage. We are heading out on Friday morning for the long trek home. I absolutely hate leaving the lake. I always feel so much at peace here but we've had a wonderful time and all good things must come to an end. I'll post some more pics of our vacation when I've returned home. Until then, happy stitching!

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures Lynn! It looks like you had a fabulous time. The cottage looks like an incredibly relaxing space. Have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an enjoyable post! That cottage is beautiful! Loved all the pictures and that tree carving is impressive! Enjoy the rest of your time at the lake and have a safe trip back home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what gorgeous pictures. It seems like you've found a beautiful place to vacation. I hope you find another cottage to rent if that one isn't available next year. Love the waterskiers too. I've seen shows before, and they're wonderful!! I haven't skied in years... Shoot, I probably couldn't now, not with my knees being so bad. You've made some progress stitching too. I hope you find a good red that works for you, and a matching Havana too. The sampler looks pretty good for being that old. I hope I'm as well preserved! (Heck, what am I talking about, I'm not that well preserved now, lol.) Great pics of the general store, church, and that carved tree trunk is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures. What a nice place for a vacation.
    Love your "Their Song" and hopefully the shop will have the missing color. I just dug mine out and 2 more for getting a frame for them.
    Thanks also for showing the sampler...it's gorgeous.
    Love also your new start.
    And when your at the shop for the WDW Havana, you can look there if they have the right color for the flag?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love the sunset!! Good luck finding the correct red for your Canadian piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your almost-there finish! I love that BBD sampler and the saying.

    Your weeks at the cottage look like such fun. I loved the pics. Maybe WDW Lancaster Red for the Canadian maple leaf?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing these lovely photos. Your rented house looks stunning, I'd love to holiday there one day. You've made a great start on Acorn Hill, I've got my next LHN all set up and ready to go soon. After completing Nature's Beauty after seeing it on your blog Lynn, I'm hooked! Best wishes and happy stitching to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun vacation! I really like how your wedding sampler turned out....nice thread choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I wish I was vacationing on a lake right now, Lynn--your pictures are the next best thing, though :)

    Congratulations on (almost) completing Their Song--it sure is a beauty. I hope your LNS has the thread you need to finish it off. And good luck on finding the perfect Canadian flag red, too :)

    Travel safe...hope my chart is waiting for you when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of great pictures Lynn! I love the cottage you are staying at, it's a shame they are selling it.

    Their song looks great minus the three words and as for the Canadian Flag have you tried DMC 321 or WDW Lousiana Hot Sauce? CC Ribbon Red might work too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great vacation photos Lynn , it looks beautiful on the lake. Thanks for sharing.
    Their Song is such a pretty piece,hope you manage to get your finishing thread. Lovely start on Acorn Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great "almost" finish! I hope you are able to pick up your needed thread.

    Wonderful vacation photos. I can see why you find it so peaceful there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful stitching and travelling time, Lynn! Thanks for the pictures - love the garden and a sunset!

    And congratulations with your BBD finish - it looks nice, and their designs are always so warm and cosy!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Lynn:) Your lake cottage looks just beautiful and it sounds like you have had a wonderful time.

    Love BBD "Their Song" looks beautiful too...can't wait to see it when it is framed.

    What an amazing antique sampler....imagine that an 11 year old stitched it!

    Thank you for sharing so many special photos of your vacation trip.

    ReplyDelete

Labels