Wednesday 27 July 2011

A bit of this and that

The summer is just flying by isn't it? We've been home for 5 days now from our cottage vacation at Lake Muskoka and I have hardly had time to put my needle to fabric. This is one of the reasons why:

My son and granddaughters arrived at our place just 2 days after we got home so I was kept rather busy. We took in the Winnie the Pooh movie while they were here. Very cute!
This is one of the other reasons I've not had much stitching time.




This solarium/gazebo was a retirement gift to myself. Now I can stitch outside in the evenings until daylight fades and even then some since we made sure an electrical power line was installed underground, coming up inside it. As you can see, those cedar hedges to the right are one of the main reasons we can't sit out at night. We get eaten alive by all the mosquitoes they harbour. The hedge isn't ours to remove and anyways it does provide some privacy. Now all we have to do is fix up the lawn around things. They had put down some sod which they didn't tell us they were going to do and while we were gone it pretty well burnt up with all the heat. The neighbours found it and tried watering but I think by then it was too late.

On my way home from Muskoka we took a side trip to see my friend Ann at Knowledge and Needles in Brighton. It was there that I found my WDW Havana and was then able to complete BBD Their Song. Here is the final picture.




And here is my meagre progress on LHN Acorn Hill.

One of the things I did do this year on our trip was to visit a few of the antique shops in Muskoka. I'd always wanted to do this but we never seemed to have enough time. Here are  the treasures I picked up.


This piece is a very close match to my childhood tea set which is also pink depression glass.



This was my favourite find of the day. A beautiful glass rose bowl with flower/scissor frog.
I had one other find which I'll save until my ort post. Can you guess what it is?

That's about it for now. I've just finished my packing for our next trip to Windsor to visit our family and attend our high school band reunion. It promises to be a lot of fun! 


12 comments:

  1. You're like the Energizer Bunny... you keep going and going and going lol. Sounds like you're having lots of fun! Lovely finds at the antique store. Your new gazebo is absolutely beautiful! Your Song is very pretty too. Have fun in Windsor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their Song is beautiful!! Congrats on a gorgeous finish!! Can't wait to see more progress on Acorn Hill! Love the Gazebo!! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your BBD Their Song is gorgeous !!!
    Love the flower frog -
    And the Gazebo - What a wonderful gift to yourself - Enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your gazebo! Super nice :)
    And your darling Grand-daughters...so sweet!
    Your finds are stunning and I can't wait to see your Ort Jar;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your gazebo, will be such a lovely place to stitch away the evening! Your granddaughters are so cute! Beautiful finish on Their Song!

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoy your evenings stitching in your gazebo. Some of the best stitches are pulled outdoors.
    Be always in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, that gazebo looks a dream! I've often thought about screening in our back porch but then we get a hot summer like this one (more than 30 days over 100 so far)and it kills the want! However, it's been so dry we've not suffered mosquitos but I'm not so sure that was a good trade =)

    Your newest finish is gorgeous as is that flower frog. I'm always on the look-out for them!

    I'll guess you got a pretty new ORT jar???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Th gazebo looks fantastic. We can't sit outside in the evening this time of year either. Not only are there a gazillion mosquitoes, but the heat and humidity will kill you! Lov your stitching and lucky you to have a grandaughter visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had some fun with the grandkids, and love the gazebo. It will be lovely with some grass around it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! What a wonderful gift to yourself. I love your gazebo, it's really beautiful. Your granddaughters are so cute. :) "BBD Their Song" is beautiful and nice progress on the Acorn Hill. Enjoy your evenings stitching in your gazebo and happy stitching. Can't wait to see your other new find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a very nice gift to yourself. Your very own Gazebo! Yeah for you.

    Nice BBD finish and great finds at the antique store.

    Have a good reunion:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool finds. Love the blackbird designs piece. I have that in my stash...I think I should start it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels