Monday 3 April 2017

My March Small

I'm running a little late with my post which seems to be the norm for me anymore. I had one small finish in mind which had to be completed by month's end.
When my granddaughter was here at Christmas she told me that she wanted me to stitch a hamster for her birthday in April. She had even Googled hamster patterns and found the one she wanted. Of course the one she wanted was only a picture of the chart and I had no idea if it was an illegal copy or not. I was able though to see the designer's name on the pic. 
After searching online I found out that the design was from a 1990 Just CrossStitch issue. I managed to snag a copy of the magazine on Ebay. Wouldn't you know it! The design was full of everything I dislike...... half stitches, quarter stitches, backstitching and the use of blended threads. I tackled it with gusto and managed to complete it in a little over a week's time. 
It's amazing what you will do for you kids and grandkids, lol! 
 Here is Hamster, designed by Cathy Livingston.


The original design also contained some long stitches which were meant to be blades of grass. I started to put them it and found they just detracted from the main design so I pulled them all out and left things as is. I'm going to get out the sewing machine next week and stitch this up as a doorknob pillow with a sweet little hanger.
I hope she likes it!! 

13 comments:

  1. What a sweet piece you stitched for your granddaughter! I know it will be a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good grandma.. Kudos to you! Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hamster is cute, she will love it.
    Maybe she will want to stitch some day too. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn: The Hamster is adorable.
    You are such a sweet Grandmother.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very cute! The door knob hanger is perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little hamster your granddaughter picked out and what a beautiful stitching job you did of it. I'm sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's going to love it, each stitch lovingly put in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute piece for your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It´s gorgeous, of course she will like it, beautiful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a wonderful hamster. You are a wonderful grandmother - you hate all the things I hate too when stitching, but sometimes they do great things for a project -- it really looks great

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun! Reminded me of days long gone when we had hamsters at our house. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a wonderful Grandma! The hamster looks great and I'm sure your granddaughter will treasure him.

    ReplyDelete

Labels