Friday 2 December 2011

Ornamentizing

I spent a couple of hours on Wednesday afternoon with my crafting group finishing up some of my ornaments. Now only one of these is a new stitch. The other two have been waiting since last year to be beautified.
I don't own a sewing machine and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd even remember how to thread the thing. I haven't sewn since my home economics classes in highschool. So I rely on the generosity of several friends for the use of their machines to finish my pillow ornaments. I provide the materials, they sew the pillows, and then I do the stuffing and trim. I've talked about getting my own machine but all three tell me not to bother if that's all I'm using it for.
Here's the results of mine and their efforts this past Wednesday.





I have three or four more ornaments with backing fabric and trims all picked just waiting for me to finish them off. I'm not using a pillow finish on these and so I hope to get to them next week.
I have very few ornaments that are actually finished. My aim over the next year is to get enough ornaments done to decorate a second tree which is nothing but stitched finishes. In the meantime I have my small ornament tree which is holding the current finishes.


Once I finish off these remaining ornaments I won't have much more room on this little tree. So how many ornaments do I need for a bigger tree? Anyone out there who has such a tree in their home who could give me an idea? I'm guessing it might be two years before I have enough completed!

This weekend is a busy one. I'm heading to Drummondville for a belated fifth birthday celebration with my granddaughter. It's a 3 hr trip one way so I've been praying for good weather. They're further north than we are and often have much more snow and earlier than we do. Fortunately, tomorrow is forecast to be a lovely sunny day and my son tells me that what snow they had has melted with some recent mild temperatures.
I'm singing at a carol service for Advent tonight and then again on Sunday with our community choir. The season is upon us!!

22 comments:

  1. I love your ornaments and beautiful finishes of each one, but I have to ask, Where do you put your Christmas cards now?
    Have a safe journey and a fun time with your family.
    Be always in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little tree looks great! You've done a great job with your ornaments, with a little help from your friends. How blessed you are to have them! Have a safe trip, and enjoy your beautiful music; nothing says Christmas more than holiday songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lynn, your tree is lovely...and your new ornament finishes are the perfect touch!!

    Hope you have safe travels and a wonderful birthday celebration with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn --
    Beautiful ornaments you finished and your tree looks great. My theory is you can never have too many stitched ornaments:))

    Have a safe trip this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ornament tree looks fantastic! I'm hoping to create one for myself like that in a year or two.
    I really love owning my own sewing machine, but they be because I know very few people who own one that I could borrow! How nice it must be to stitch with friends.
    Happy stitching and best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, they all turned out great, Lynn!! I'm beginning to think about transferring all my ornaments to a separate tree, too. I have a lot--will have to count them when I decorate the tree this weekend :)

    Enjoy your granddaughter's birthday--girls are so cute at age 5!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your ornament finishes Lynn! Your friends are probably right about the sewing machine. I borrow my Mom's when I need it, which is once in a blue moon :) Love the ornament tree, is it a recent purchase, I've been looking for one. My guess would be about a dozen or two stitched ornaments for a full tree decoration but I'll make sure to count mine on my tree when I put it up and let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. O=h my, such a lovely ornament tree. I love your ornaments and the different ways to finish them. Looks gorgeous.
    I'm sure that once you own a sewing machine you will also use it more often. Maybe even the quilting bug will bite you one day, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finishing job Lynn! I call it ornamentification

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your ornament tree. What a great idea! One I just might have to copy for our house. Safe travels.
    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ornament finishes are really special! Wish that my ornament finishes would be as lovely as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are all so pretty and I love your ornament tree!
    Enjoy your granddaughter's birthday celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really LOVE your ornament tree! The new finishes look awesome.

    I enjoyed re-learning how to sew. I actually use my daughter's machine and soon she is going to want to take it to live with her. I will have to buy my own then!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am already looking for an ornament tree for me what a great idea. Have a safe trip! I love your ornaments. I have one more to make and I believe I am done. Just the finishing to hopefully Jayne will come through for me. She always does, bless her little heart!!!! Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you're little tree looks sooo nice :). I love them all :) you're a really talented stitcher

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lovely and cute ornaments! Love the robin and sheep, and others!
    Your curly tree looks great (and the new blog design is so nice!)

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your ornaments! Really like the sheep one especially!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your ornaments are beautiful, especially the little sheep one, and I love, love, love your ornament tree!! I vow every year to do more!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the deal you have with your friends for them to do the sewing. Your ornaments turned out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous! Your tree looks so happy with all those lovely ornies on it :o)

    I have a 4' artificial tree that I bought at Wal-Mart (had to add my own lights) for $29.99. I have all my stitched ornaments on that because I don't want pitch to get on them. I'll try and take a picture of it soon :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great ornaments and your tree looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Labels