Saturday 12 July 2014

July Supermoon WIPocalypse

I'm sure you've heard by now that tonight's full moon is known as a supermoon. It's the first of 3 that occur this summer. The moon hasn't taken on any extraordinary powers to merit this name. What does take place is that the moon is closer to Earth in its elliptical orbit and so it will appear larger than usual. That said, it has no bearing on our stitching so let's forge ahead and get down to business!

Since last month's post I have had one finish and two new starts. I'm sure you know which one is my finish since I was so close to the end of my stitching at June's WIPocalypse. Some of you will have already seen this in last month's Stitching From Stash post. Here is Primitive Betty Live, Laugh, Love.



Once I'd finished the stitching on this I tried my hand at dyeing the fabric with walnut crystals. I followed the recipe included with the pattern which call for walnut crystals, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla. I used a sponge brush to apply the mixture and dried it in the oven at a low temp. It turned out not too badly for my first attempt although it is much darker than appears in this photo. It doesn't smell too badly either! 

Following this finish I dug through my stash and looked at my list of projects that I had listed to complete for this year's WIPocalypse. Heartstring Samplery's The Strawberry Collection jumped out at me as we were just starting to see our sweet local strawberries appearing on roadside stands. I chose to stitch the Strawberry Bower Sampler from this collection. Here are some progress photos.





I'm using Picture This Plus Mello as my fabric for this and I love how the sampler looks on the fabric. Those plump little berries are such pretty colours too! I have to say that I have been enjoying this one so much that I haven't concentrated on much else until this week. 
With Canada Day having just been celebrated I pulled out this sweet little design which will be perfect to add to my patriotic decor next year.
This is by Sub Rosa Designs and is called Where Liberty Dwells...
It is also being stitched on a Picture This Plus fabric however in this case I'm using Sand.



I'm going to be altering the original design a bit for this one and replacing the charted initials. You'll have to wait until later to see what I've decided on.

That's about it for stitching this month. I've been quite busy now that I'm becoming more mobile. Lots of physio appts. for sure. I can't believe how tired I am afterwards! I'm also taking the time to reread Diana Gabaldon's Outlander which is premiering in August as a weekly series on Showcase here in Canada. It is highly anticipated by a large fan following and it has been way too many years since I first read this so I wanted to familiarize myself once more with the story and its characters. 

I also received an email this past week detailing some of the panels which have been received for the Torah Stitch By Stitch which I participated in. Here is the link to the photos. Mine is #31 in the list. Some panels have been stitched with borders and others have chosen not to embellish. It's obvious that there are a lot of fabulous stitchers out there who volunteered their time and talent.

That's it for this month. I hope you are all enjoying your summer or winter if you happen to be on the other side of the globe!   

17 comments:

  1. Lovely stitches. Cloudy tonight so won't see the spermoon:-(. I love those

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! And very summery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you are more mobile and that things are progressing well.

    The border on your Torah panel looks great.

    Hope you can make it to the get-together on Tuesday, I am planning to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely finish. The two WIP's are looking great . I started reading that book last summer and never finished, story of my life LOL
    I hope you have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stitching :) I have that book on my reading list....just need more time to get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your finish Of Live Laugh Love is cute as a button! And your WIPS coming along gangbusters :)
    That Torah is something special...you should be proud of your flawless work :) Many needlewomen should take pride in their contributions too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm cheering you to get thru your PT. YEA!!! Your getting more moble - remember you are going to be pain free these upcoming holidays. I do hope the pain you had before the surgery is all gone. I know your still recovering from the surgery.

    THANK YOU for the info on "Outlander" series. OOOOH I had no idea. I had read the first 3 or 4 books. Now I need to re-read the 1st book again:)

    Congrats on PB - shes beautiful. And incredible progress on Strawberries & Liberty!
    love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Live, Love, Laugh turned out nice.
    Great start on the Strawberries.
    The Torah stitcheries are all beautiful, what a great project.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like your fabric would smell fantastic, glad your experiment worked out well. I love the strawberry design, perfect for this time of year :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on a beautiful finish Lynn and you are so brave to dye the fabric too!!!!

    Your two new projects are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely stitching Lynn! I too am looking forward to watching the new Outlander series. Perhaps I will finally get around to reading the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful stitches, Lynn! Love Where Liberty Dwells! I have a few of her patterns that I can't wait to stitch. Glad to hear you are becoming more mobile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear your mobility is getting better and better. Wonderful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whay wonderful stitching! You have some beautifil pieces there.

    We didn't get to see the super moon as it was cloudy.

    Glad to hear you're getting more mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love your Primitive Betty's finish! It's gorgeous! Your other projects look great as well. You always have some wonderful projects in the works Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely stitching.
    I was away at the beach for the supermoon, it looked amazing.
    I wonder if we'll get the DG Outlader series here in the UK, I've read a few of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful projects as always, Lynn. A lovely finish and so much strawberry stitching going on. I wish I could say the same. I found a nice little strawberry chart by Blackbird Designs but somehow haven't found the time for it this year. Well, maybe next year.

    It's wonderful to read that your mobility is progressing more and more. I'm so glad for you.

    ReplyDelete

Labels