Sunday 3 November 2013

TUSAL Update

It's TUSAL time once more and here's a pic of my collection for the past month.


Lots of blacks, oranges and greens, consistent with my fall and Halloween stitching. The little owl teapot is my latest find in the clearance section of a local store. He holds enough tea for two. 
Next month's orts should have an addition of bright reds and greens to them as I prepare for my Christmas stitching. I still have one remaining Halloween design to finish up which is my PSS Ghoul Tidings. I'm giving it some much needed attention this weekend.

My youngest son posted some pics of his Halloween fun on Facebook this week. I knew he had participated in the zombie walk once more although his makeup had to be limited this year due to an allergic reaction that occurred after last year's walk. That's my zombie on the far left, lol!


|Thanks once again to Brian of Tooma Productions for his amazing photo.

I know Chris' band was performing on Halloween evening but I'm not sure if they dressed in costume or not. This was a pic that he posted of the plague mask he made himself to wear on Halloween.



As the name implies, plague masks originated during the time of the plague and were worn by doctors who attended the sick.  A common misconception at the time was that the plague was spread by birds and the wearing of this mask would in part help draw the disease away from the sufferer. The nose was filled with perfume or aromatic herbs and spices which helped reduce the stench from the corpses and infected patients. I love Chris' mask and have to ask him what materials he used to construct it. Very cool!

I should have some progress updates on my stitching for you early next week. I've already started my ornament for next month's SAL, a Christmas one, of course. I'm undecided as to whether or not I should start a larger Christmas stitch or just stick to finishing my current WIP. Right now my first priority is to clean up my stash room which also serves as my guest bedroom. My sister is arriving next week to spend several days with me. I can hardly wait!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn, I know that feeling well with your stash room. When we had visitors I too had to move everything, however my DH put some new cupboards on the walls in my workroom and hopefully if I can stop buying any more stash the problem is resolved. Easier said than done! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice mask but the spider in the background makes me ..... eeeeek!
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely orts.
    I Love the Halloween pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool mask Yikes on reaction to the Halloween makeup

    ReplyDelete
  5. The owl teapot is just precious! I hope you and your sister have a lovely time together :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the owl teapot ~ and so interesting to learn about the plague masks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting about the masks!Have you read the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis? Have fun with your sister! Hope your hip is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute teapot, it's lovely to find a bargain especially one as nice as that!
    I didn't have a clue what a Plague Mask was but really interesting to learn about it and a good photo too!
    Have a lovely time with your sister xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. your guys really take this dressing up for Halloween thing seriously! it must be so cool, I must spend a real 31st too someday, dressed up and everything.
    that teapot is so sweet, what a great find!
    happy xxx,
    chiara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the owl teapot and such wonderful Halloween pictures. Have a fun time catching up with your sister.

    ReplyDelete

Labels